As with just about every other financial and lending industry, credit repair services are another hot avenue for scamming consumers out of money. The Federal Trade Commission is urging consumers to get educated to the signs of a scam and learn tips for finding legitimate credit repair help.
- Offers bold guarantees
- Charges upfront fees
- Keeps you out of the negotiation loop
- Pushes you into a consolidation or management plan
- Operates as a non-profit organization
- Companies verified by the BBB or NFCC
- Staffed by licensed or legal personnel, such as a Cincinnati bankruptcy attorney